18 May 2012

Friday List

SARAH'S LIST:

Yesterday we had the day off in celebration of Liberation Day. Or to commemorate the day, 15 years ago, when Kabila I marched into Kinshasa to liberate the country from Mobutu. Or as our friends say, "Liberate" the country from Mobutu.

The Leopard’s last monument by Julien Harneis, on Flickr
"The Leopard's Last Monument"
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License  by  Julien Harneis 

Meanwhile, in the 90s, while our Congolese friends were enduring their coup d'état. I was watching a lot of Will and Grace. Which for some reason comes on our South African television all the time. It's kind of amazing to watch it now. It's still so edgy! Good article on the subject.

Here's a list of countries that love their moms more than America does. Not too surprising, really.



Foreign Policy Magazine is on a roll with its Mama lists. Here's one of Dictators With Mommy Issues. Ha!

Mother is mother! by Luz Adriana Villa A., on Flickr
Mommy Issues.
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  Luz Adriana Villa A. 


Here's an interesting online exhibition called Mama: Motherhood Around the Globe. It's by the International Museum of Women and looks pretty beautiful. Especially if you have non-Congo internet and can actually load the photos and videos!

Opinion piece called New Africa or New Hype. A miraculous triumph over a tragic past or politically correct and safe?

There's nothing I love more than a smartly funny, witty woman. You can't really tell from her character on The Office, but Mindy Kaling is hilarious. I laughed all the way through her book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). She has a new show starting in the fall. I really hope it's worth the download time.




JILL'S LIST:

An amazing program.  Go nurses!

Really happy to have this newly downloaded on my computer.  I have big plans for nighttime downloads (as is a necessary courtesy in the land of low bandwidth...) of Caillou, Oui Oui, Tintin, Pingu, Barbapapa, and other little clips to keep my kiddos happy on our quickly-approaching plane trip to the USA.  Scooby Doo in French?  No problem. 

Barbapapa.
Worldwide breastfeeding stats.  DRCongo is even included on the list.
I've always been a fan of face scrubs.  But, recently, I have been using this little waterless balm to "cleanse" my face and it's magical.  I swear my skin is more tropics-ready (read: less shiny) the less scrubbing and more balm-ing that I do.  (I got a sample in my Birchbox last month.  Sarah is mad because her little pot of Skin Savior apparently got nabbed somewhere between the U.S. and Kinshasa...)
Amazing photography.  Fascinating stories.  Hell of a blog post.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...