24 August 2012

Friday List!

Sarah's List:

I love in-flight magazines! Remember this? Here's an article about how in-flight magazines trick their captive audiences into visiting war-torn countries. It's so true. We flew a lot this summer within the US and one of these magazines totally had me convinced that I must, MUST! visit Arkansas. I feel so deceived.

Compliments of Egypt Air.


Thinking about umbrellas and really, really wishing the rainy season would just start already. This dust is killer. How did we live in Egypt for two years?


i’ll take you away, turn this place into by linh.ngan, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  linh.ngan 



My favorite corner of the world, in watercolor. Find your favorite corner in watercolor too...

Can you guess where this is?

From Time Magazine this week: "Documenting the Democratic Republic of Congo with an iPhone". Or as I'd like to call it "Taking photos of Coltan miners so they can make your phone so you can take pictures of Coltan miners. Repeat."





I'm sorry, a recipe for ice cubes? Totally ridiculous. But check out the ratings and reviews.

Update: I know, I know you've seen the ice cube recipe a million times already. But with Jill as my witness, I had the recipe on the draft of this list 48 hours before it went viral. And Jill had already found such a beautiful ice cube picture...

A taste of the reviews: "This recipe is horrible! Maybe I should have left them in longer than two minutes (the recipe doesn't say how long to leave them in the freezer so I just kind of guessed) but mine came out all watery. I won't be making these again."




Got a few bored minutes? Check this out.


Jill's List:

Trying to find potting soil in Kinshasa.  Shoprite?  Brought back some herbs to try thisMupwa doesn't think it will work...

 
It can't be that hard to start an NGO...  Does Congo even need another NGO?  Are NGOs a good thing?



Neil the maintenance guy (among other titles) tells me that I might be able to get my hands on some extra shipping pallets left over from the summer work on campus.  New porch furniture!




 My kind of sewing.  And Mama Vida & Mama NouNou.  They never use patterns.  Here's my favorite top/tunic/dress



Because we love to write about hairFor all of you who did not chop off all of your hair this summer:



At the Jack Bell gallery in London.  Kinshasa's own, Bandoma.



1 comment:

  1. Ugh - that old-fashioned recipe for ice cubes is way too much work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...